Expression of Interest to Provide a Post Cataract Follow up Service in Conjunction with Sapphire Eye Care, Chandlers Ford
Dear LOC Colleague
Hampshire LOC has been holding discussions with Sapphire Eye Care, Chandlers Ford with a view to establishing a Post Cataract Follow up Scheme in the community. This scheme would be managed on behalf of the LOC by our contracting body – Primary Eyecare Services Ltd.
There are already two similar schemes running in the county and we would like this to be a third scheme that involves you working alongside Sapphire Eye Care in the Southampton, West Hampshire and East Dorset area.
We would like to hear from you if you are a practice based in the above areas and you are interested in providing this valuable, patient centred service in the community.
Details of practice and performer requirements are detailed below so if you feel that you are able to meet the requirements and wish to take part please complete the Expressions of Interest Form via this link .
In conjunction with Sapphire Eye Care we are holding a joint information event on the evening of 20 January 2020. The invitation to this event is accessible via this link. Please be aware that places are limited so please do not register for more than two attendees.
Please respond to the Expressions of Interest (EOI) and event invitation by no later than Monday 06 January 2020.
Following EOI we will ask you to register on the registration portal where you will sign a contract and be given access to the module to enable you to upload your practice compliance as outlined in the following summary of requirements.
Cataract post-op assessment should include:
- slit lamp examination of the anterior eye
- discussion of the patient’s satisfaction with the outcome of surgery
- record of vision and determination of prescription required for any residual refractive error
Such procedures shall be undertaken as deemed clinically necessary by the relevant ophthalmic practitioner
All tests undertaken and results obtained must be recorded on the Electronic Optometric Patient Record, even if the results are normal.
All advice given to the patient (verbal or written) must be recorded on the Electronic Optometric Patient Record.
All clinical decisions and advice given to patients must be recorded on the Electronic Optometric Patient Record.
The Contractor shall have the following equipment:
- Slit lamp
- Fundus viewing lens (e.g. Volk)
- Distance test chart (Snellen /logmar)
- Near test type
- Appropriate ophthalmic drugs for pupil dilation
- Internet access
Accreditation – Education and Training
The Contractor and all ophthalmic practitioners employed or engaged by the Contractor in respect of the provision of the community services shall satisfy the accreditation criteria detailed below.
Contactors must complete the following Quality in Optometry checklists
- GOS Standard Contractor checklist
- NHS Standard LOC Subcontractor Long Form Checklists
To become accredited, ophthalmic practitioners must complete the following
- LOCSU/WOPEC Cataract Distance Learning modules
- Safeguarding Level 2 for Adults & Children (must be valid within a three-year period)
- Valid Enhanced DBS with a subscription to Update Service
- Registered with the General Optical Council
Ophthalmic practitioners will be required to attend a training session run by the LOC and Sapphire Eye Care, primarily to cover the admin procedures and protocols involved in providing the community service. The training session will cover:
- An introduction to the service
- Administration of the service including protocols, processes and paperwork or IT